Victoria Website
Client Portal
argyle housing logo

What is Social Housing?

People in Australia who are on low to moderate incomes can access housing from what is broadly known as Social Housing.

To access Social Housing you must be able to satisfy eligibility criteria set by the relevant state or territory via an application process. To see if you are eligible, please review the relevant state/territory department resources below;

Both NSW and the ACT have their own housing register and subsequent waiting listing. When applying for Social Housing you can choose a preference to receive offers for housing from Public Housing, Community Housing providers or both.

Public Housing is Social Housing when owned/managed by Housing NSW or Housing ACT. Community Housing is Social Housing that is owned/managed by a community housing provider such as Argyle Housing.

How do I apply for social housing?

Social housing is one of the products you can be considered for when you make an application for housing assistance. You can also apply for housing assistance if you are already a tenant of a social housing provider (such as DCJ or a participating community housing provider).

In general, you must be at least 18 years of age however, there are circumstances where clients aged 16 or over but under 18 years of age will be considered.  For more information please see the Eligibility for Social Housing Policy.

You can lodge your application online or apply by phone on 1800 422 322.

Skip to content